Wednesday 19 September 2012

The Pitfall of Reading

You'd think that, since an addiction to reading is such a vital element for anyone of a writerly persuasion, I shouldn't complain about it. After all, author after author advises, "Read, read and read some more!"

I'm happy to oblige. You might as well urge me at gunpoint to 'breathe'. But, assuming you escape the discouragement of realising  that  a/ you'll never be that good, b/ you'll never come up with any original idea, or c/ you'll never please all your readers, all the time, there's another pitfall for the reading writer.

Procrastination.

This week I have written approximately 1, 000 words.

This week I have read approximately 20 gazillion words (mostly during my timetabled writing times. Refer to low wordcount above).

Oh, dear. I'm going to have to refrain from picking up a book for a bit...after I've read the two by my bed, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment