Monday 25 February 2013

Cornerstones Competition

Yay - I managed to get my entry in to Belper Short Story competition in time (I hope. I'm trusting the Post Office on that one!) so my next project, which has come out of the blue, is to enter the Cornerstones Wow competition.

I've seriously considered buying a Cornerstone critique anyway (and, no doubt, I will one day) so I'd love the prize - which is a critique of your novel. I've unearthed my second novel, which I haven't found a great title for yet, and begun to transfer it to Scrivener, in the hope that will make it easier to edit (again) and perhaps to improve the plot. I'm not sure what I hope to improve in the next three weeks - the deadline is the end of March.

Part of me wonders how much that matters - surely anyone whose novel is perfect, or very nearly so, has no need of a critique service..? If flaws are an advantage, then I'm really in with a chance on this one!  But perhaps they're not. I'm entering because I can't win if I don't, and because it shows some faith in me; I suppose my promise to myself to enter a competition every month is lowering some of my inhibitions about entering - it's so easy to be fearful of making yourself ridiculous, or of failing - else I might not have considered it at all.

Good luck to everyone who enters this one!

As a post-script, on Scrivener the length of chapters is very clear. I've been shocked to discover that Chapter 2 has seven scenes, while Chapter 2 has only two. (Chapter 3 has ten). How have I not noticed this in all the read-throughs and edits I've done? It's true that a change of view can bring a whole new perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment