Tuesday 26 March 2013

Breathing Space

I met my deadline and am having a fallow rest of the week - but I'm not going to ban myself from thinking! Already today I've tidied and feel more on top of the housework.

What has struck me today - now I've got breathing space to notice it! -  is how helpful the advice is that says to move on to your next project. I have never submitted as much as I have already this year, but my plan to submit at least one thing a month is really spurring me on. The fact I'm focusing on the next project as soon as I submit the last is definitely taking the edge off my curiosity about what is happening to my submissions, and I know it will make me more pragmatic about the stories that don't achieve anything.

I even noticed this week that a short story I submitted in October to a women's magazine hasn't yet been returned. I'm not sure if I can take that as a positive, but it feels like one! So that one is out there; four are out as magazine competition entries; one has gone to a local writing competition and now the first few pages of my novel and synopsis are 'out there' too. It might not sound like a lot to you if you're prolific, but it is for me! Surely this has got to be good for my confidence?

No comments:

Post a Comment